- Our History -
Thomas W. Brackin worked in E.B. Dawson’s hardware store in Boonton for 30 years. In 1918, in order to supplement his income, he went into the insurance business. Working from a rolltop desk in a spare bedroom of his home at Intervale Road in Mountain Lakes, he sold life insurance part time in the evenings.
His son, Thomas B. Brackin, entered the life insurance business in Binghamton, New York, in 1935. Having learned his profession, he returned to Mountain Lakes in 1950 and started a new agency, which absorbed his father’s part-time insurance agency. He expanded it to include real estate.
For a few years the business operated out of a small office located at Lake Intervale in Parsippany and sold homes at that lake development. In the mid-1940s the firm joined forces with C.W. Sanders and operated a full service real estate and insurance agency as Sanders and Brackin, Inc.
The third generation of Brackins, Thomas S., joined the organization in 1961 and the name was changed to Thomas Brackin Inc., its present name. Currently, Tom’s wife Marilyn is President of the business. It is one of only a handful of real estate firms in the county that have had continuous family operation since their inception.
The company offers a wide variety of real estate and insurance services, concentrating on personalized service to clients. In the field of insurance, it covers industrial and commercial services, residential, homeowners, and life and tax planning.
In addition to the usual real estate transactions, Thomas Brackin, Inc., is unique in that it also provides a specialized service to those interested in purchasing, selling, or insuring a historic home. In this regard the firm has handled a large number of historic properties over the years. This is a natural aspect of the business for Tom since he is the former president of the Historical Society of the Rockaways and takes an active interest in historical functions in the area.
The site of the present headquarters of Thomas Brackin, Inc., at One Boulevard Mountain Lakes, has had a checkered background. The building was constructed in the 1920s to serve as a grocery store and a trolley stop for the growing community of Mountain Lakes and nearby Boonton. It had seen use as an ice cream parlor and a hot dog stand before becoming the real estate and insurance firm’s office.